If there is one vegetable that I can eat raw,baked , cooked whatever it would be beetroot.I was not fond of this vegetable until my mom told me beetroot makes lips rosy.(Its true I have told the same to my cute little niece that she is become crazy over this veggie). I have tried everything that is possible with beetroot but this vadai.
I was so tempted to make masala vadai after drooling over Sathya's masala vada and at the same time wanted to make use of expiring beetroot in some ways.Then again I searched in google reader for beetroot and came across this fantastic beetroot vadai in malar's blog. I am so happy that after my series of flops in trying it out new recipes this one has come out strikingly well. Thanks to malar and Sathya.
I have made a very few modifications according to my taste.
Channa Dhal - 1 cup
Onion - chopped 1 no.
Beetroot - large grated 1 no.
Green chillies - 4 medium
Fennel seeds - 2 tsp.
Coriander leaves - few
Curry leaves - few
Rice Flour - 3 tsp.
Salt to taste.
Oil to deep fry
1. Soak channa dhal for about an hour or so.Then completely drain the water and spread it in a towel and let it dry for few minutes.
2. Keep aside a fistful of channa dhal and grind the remaining with fennel seeds coarsely without adding water.If needed can sprinkle a little.But make sure it is not very moist.
3. Then throw in chopped onions,fistful of channa dhal, coriander leaves, curry leaves, chopped green chillies and mix all like a dough.
4. You can add rice flour for the crispier ones.I would suggest you to add rice flour at the last if the mix has become little watery. Otherwise not needed.( I cudnt wait for the channa dhal to drain out water completely and it becomes watery so had added rice flour to get the consistency)
5. Then make small gooseberyy size round balls and flatten it placing it between your palms. This way it comes little bulging at the middle .
6. Fry it in oil in medium flame . Thats all yummy beetroot vadai is ready. If you are health conscious you can as well bake it.The result was just awesome.