Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Baked Thattu Vadai and awards



Hari is a big fan of snacks and as soon as he returns from the office he goes straight to the snack box .If he doesnt find anything interesting he goes really maad.I sometimes wonder how come he is not putting on weight even though he eats so much.People are really gifted and I envy such kind of people unlike me who puts on weight even if I breathe.At the same time I cant keep my mouth shut from munching something.So, I deliberately avoid stacking snacks at my pantry. But how long can one be without having all those . So I thought I will make thattu vadai and by the time I finish grinding all powders I was totally exhausted and heat was getting into me. I had no patience to stand in the kitchen also to fry everything . consequently decided to bake this off and to know the difference made a very few deep fried ones. Surprisingly, Hari was not able to make out a difference between  both the versions. Why deep fry when baked ones is as good as deep fried ones. Truly guilt free indulgence for me and a crunchy munchy for him.



Recipe goes like this

Raw Rice Powder - 1 cup
Urad dhal powder - 1 tsp.
Roasted dhal - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves - few
hing - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter - 2 tsp.

Mix all the ingredients together and make a soft dough using water.Then make gooseberry size balls and flatten them between 2 greased plastic sheets.Preheat the oven at 200 degree celsius and place the flattened balls on the baking sheet and spray oil on each of them and bake for about 10 mins on each side.Crispy Thattu vadai is ready.

Recipe sounds simple but making those 2 powders will take time.

For Raw Rice Powder :

Soak Raw Rice for half an hour and drain the water and then dry them on a towel completely.Put it in a mixie and grind into smooth powder. There may be few lumps after grinding so sieve it to remove all those lumps.

For Urad dhal Powder :

Dry roast Urad Dhal till golden brown and powder it.

P.S : Those with little bubbles on it are deep fried .

Now award time

Menagasathiya of sashiga blog and Jai of Tasty Appetite have shared this with me. Both of them are very adorable having unique and healthy recipes in their respective spaces. I am totally honoured to receive these awards from them.Thanks Menaga and Jai .








I am very delighted to share this awards with much deserving bloggers.

Krishnaveni of Krishnaveni's Kitchen
Sushma mallya of Authenti Food Delights
Cool Lassie of http://pangravykadaicurry.blogspot.com/
Sathya Sridhar of Samayal Corner
Sashi of Sashi's Tasty Bites
Maya and Lakshmi of Yummy Team
Kiran of Sumadhara
Rumana Ambrin of Spice ur Senses

28 comments:

TREAT AND TRICK said...

This is so yummy and crispy. Love the baked version, free from oil. Congrats on those awards dear...

Sushma Mallya said...

Hi pavithra, congrats on your awards, and thanks so much for passing it on to me as well...snack looks too good, am in your category only who puts on weight even when i dont eat much:)...

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Dear,
Thanks a plenty for the awards. I accept!

SathyaSridhar said...

Congrats on ur awards and thanks for sharing with me,,Pavi. After reading ur post i agree with u dear,,some people looks too thin but they will hv food nicely but some people like me even drink water put on weight,,sometimes i surprised on them really thats the gift to them...btw baked thattai rombha nalla irukku paa,, naanum oru naal try pandren udambukkum rombha nallathu evloe venalum saaptukkalam bayam ilama..Pavi,,EN INIYA TAMIZH PUTHANDU NALVAZHTHUKKAL to u n ur family..

Unknown said...

crunchy tea time snack with out oil...baking is good idea rather deep frying...
congrats on your awards....

ARUNA said...

Vadai looks very crisp and yummy!!!

Life is beautiful !!! said...

Pavithra thanks for visiting my blog :) Thattai is my hubbys favourite...after seeing yours I think I should make it for him :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Hi Pavithara

Congrats for all your awards. Loved the way you have prepared the vadai.
Hamaree Rasoi

Kiran said...

Congratulations on all your awards.You certaily deserve them.Wow baked thattai sounds very good.I was thinking of trying it and you did it,I can just follow your recipe now.Thank you for sharing all these wonderful awards with me.

Unknown said...

Great Idea Pavithra!! It looks so crispy and delicious..

Congrats on your awards..And thanks a lot for sharing them with us :)

Krishnaveni said...

congratulations on your beautiful awards and thanks a lot for sharing with me. thattu vadai looks crispy and healthy too

Swanavalli Suresh said...

congrats for all your awards. Amazing recipe

Ann said...

Wow baked thatai sounds soo good and looks yum

Katy ~ said...

Oh, you are clever to try a baked version. They do look yummy and crispy. Well done!

PranisKitchen said...

congrats on your awards.
the snacks looks so crispy and delicious..
what u said is right.for gaining weight-snacks has a very good role..but we like snack..so always prepare one or the other.
very new recipe for me ..Anyway thanks for sharing the recipe

gtyuk said...

Hello Pavithra,
thank you so much for those kind words you left on my space....

ungaloda thattai (that's how we call these) super crispy-yaa irukku, really I wouldn't have identified the difference in the picture if you haven't precised... they look alike and as you say, we can enjoy the thattais without any guilty :)

unlike me who puts on weight even if I breathe.hahaha, that's so true with me too!!! my sister is just the opposite; nallaaa kattu kattu-nnu kattuvaa but oru chinna gram kooda poda maattaa... yenna sollaradhu? avanga yellaam kuduthu vachavanga !!!!

I'm in your set too and as deep frying is not my favorite task, I 'd love to bake these too!! I love thattais!!! yours look perfect , will try them soon!!!

Gita Jaishankar said...

Even my hubby goes for the snacks cabinet as soon as he comes home :) love your idea of baking thattai dear...looks so crisp and awesome...I will definitely try this :)

Aruna Manikandan said...

Congratulations on all ur well deserved awards..
Keep rocking :-)

Love ur baked version
Looks crispy!!!

Anonymous said...

இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

Sashi said...

Congrats Pavi on ur awards !! thanks for sharing it with me dear. I am so honored !!

Baked version of thattu vadai is a nice attempt. Surely it would help those who are health conscious, include me in that !!

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

Congrats for ur awards!!Very crunchy nippatu...

shahana said...

Loved your baked vadai version!
Congratz on all your awards!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Yes. Pavithra, reg. your queries on thattai, you can use store bought flour too.

GEETHA ACHAL said...

மிகவும் அருமையாக இருக்கின்றது...வாழ்த்துகள்...

indosungod said...

Baked thattai. I am in. Looking at it, I can't tell the difference.

Menaga Sathia said...

பவித்ரா சூப்பர் போங்க,அவனில் பேக் செய்து அசத்திட்டீங்க.நானும் டிரை பண்றேன் அடுத்த தடவை இந்த மாதிரி...விருதுக்கு வாழ்த்துக்கள் உங்களுக்கும்,மற்றவர்களூக்கும்...

Meena said...

love this recipe...very unique & clever of you to try it out.

Srikitchen said...

OH ITS A GOOD TWIST TO A TRADITIONAL RECIPE!
SWEET AND SAVORIES FOR DIWALI EVENT IS GOING IN MY BLOG NOW!
PLZ DO JOIN WITH US TO CELEBRATE THE EVENT!
FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE EVENT, VISIT http://www.srishkitchen.com/2010/07/deadline-extended-for-efm-sweets-and.html!