Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sweet, sour and spicy Sesame Powder

I was not a big fan of ellu podi until I had this version . As you all know Andhra is known for its gunpowder which is really spicy.I used to haunt the andhra restaurants here just for its gunpowder and gongura chuntney .I stayed in hostel for somedays where I was sharing my room with andhrites.Probably thats where I got addicted to this powders.I had a strong aversion to my hostel food.So I just eat my rice only with this Ellu Podi .
I dont know for some stupid reasons , I have been deprived of this podi. Now doctor has asked me to take lots of ellu in food as it is very rich in Iron.Yipppeee !!! Have you seen a doctor asking us to eat something we like.
I have had that andhra podis taste in my taste and after trying so many attempts , I captured that test .I got this recipe  from menutoday blog and slightly modified for my taste. I couldnt believe that H was having it with idli,rice,curd and with anything that is on his plate.
This is little different from what my mother makes. This is hot,sour and sweet podi.



Ingredients
Sesame seeds (Black) - 1 cup
Urad dhal - 1/2 cup
Red chillies - 6 nos.
Curry leaves - few
Tamarind - one small lemon size
Jaggery - 1/2 tsp.(wouldnt advise you to add more then it will dominate the podi)
Salt to taste

Method

1.Dry roast Sesame until it starts popping out.
2.Dry roast Urad dhal separately until it turns light brown colour in medium flame.
3.Dry roast Red chillies, curry leaves, tamarind and salt for few seconds.Take care that chillies are not burnt.
4.Grind 2 and 3 with jaggery to a smooth powder and finally add ellu to it and give 2 pulse.Ellu should not be ground for long then it will start to give oil smell.


I am sending this to Blog Bites #2 - Copy cat Edition at onehotstove by Nupur.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks delicious! I will surely try this healthy podi..Have a great weekend ahead!!

Sushma Mallya said...

Never made this one but sure must be good

Nupur said...

Thanks for the entry, yes, it does fit the theme.

Can you please link to this page on my blog: http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-bites-2-copycat-edition.html

instead of the "about" page as you have done? Thanks!

ARUNA said...

Wow that's a yummy powder Pavithra, will b awesome with idli or even ghee and rice!!

Uma said...

never heard of gunpowder as a culinary term.. the ingredients are interesting and worth trying.
Thanks for sharing!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Looks Yummy...U got a nice collection of recipes..glad to follow u...Do drop in at my blog sometime..

Pavithra Srihari said...

Thank you all for dropping by and leaving your lovely comments.

@ Nupur

Yes I have changed the link Nupur.Thanks for pointing it out.

@ Uma

Uma Idli powder is colloquially called as gun powder in Andhra or atleast my telugu friends call it that way.

Kavitha said...

Hi Pavithra,
Thanks for your kind workds. I have added your blog to my blogroll..
And your blog is cool...LOvely recipes...

Thanks,
Kavitha

Krishnaveni said...

I like this powder and ghee with rice. excellent combination

Priya dharshini said...

i luv this powder...pls collect the award from my blog..

Swathi said...

Pavithra,

Ellu podi looks really good. i will try some time.

Kanchana Radhakrishnan said...

I like this sesame powder with rice.

Kanchana Radhakrishnan said...

Imlike this sesame powder with rice.

Unknown said...

Luv ellu podi...ur version sounds gud too!

SathyaSridhar said...

Pavi,,ellu podi rombha super rice kooda nalla irukkum and it also good for the health we can replace it for paruppu podi,,

FewMinute Wonders said...

My mom makes gun powder with ellu and I love it. She had channa dhal in hers along with all the other ingredients.

SS blogs here said...

Hey Pavithra.. truly rare to have a doctor tell us to eat something we like! :) Glad you can have ur fill of this yummy looking podi! Cheers!