I have suddenly become more addicted to this naattu( country )vegetables.Back in my native I used to hate all these veggies for many reasons. My parents never make anything with hybrid vegetables or that is straight from cold storage box. Amma still says try to avoid store bought food and it is after these many years slowly starting to sink into my head.
To my surprise , most of the sites suggested this to include in your daily intake if you are on diet .
•Low in Saturated Fat, and Cholesterol
•High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Zinc, Thiamin, Iron, Magnesium and Manganese. Note that Wax Gourd is high in Sodium.
The nutritional value of gourd makes it suitable for:
•Maintaining optimum health
Avoid including gourd in your diet if you're interested in:
This is awesome right. More interesting fact I found when I wikied for Bottle gourd is I got this Pic . Isn't it beautiful ?
Pic Source : Wikipedia
So now the time for recipe :
Bottle Gourd chopped - 1 cup
Cow Pea - 1/2 cup
Small Onion - 6 nos.
Tomato - 1 no.
Tamarind - 1 small meon size ball
Coconut - 1 tbsp.
Sambhar Powder - 2 tsp.
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard , curry leaves for seasoning
Salt to taste
1. Boil cow pea in pressure cooker for about 15 mins.
2. Then take a pan and add oil , once oil is hot enough add mustard and let it pop up.
3. Now add onion and saute them until it changes color.
4. Add tomato, chopped bottle gourd ,sambhar powder,tamarind extract and salt .Close the lid and cook until bottle gourds are 5. done.You Can put everything together except cowpea in cooker and give one whistle which is very faster.
6. Add Cooked cowpea and coconut and boil it for a minute .
7. Now add cooked cow peas and coconut
Serve it with hot rice drizzling some ghee on it. Perfect for the lunch .
I am sending this to Delicious dals from India hosted by Suma.