There is a popular saying in tamil .. elachavanukku ellu and koluthavanukku kollu means sesame seeds for fatty and horse gram for skinny.No wonder , I have started using kollu often in my diet .
I must say horse gram is one of the unexplored dals here. I have never tasted this dal until I got married. and I used to think it is a cattle feed. It is surprising to find that this tastes better and has innumerable medicinal benefits .
Recipe for rasam and dhal , both can be made just in time and the whole meal can be fixed in less than half an hour. I remember having this whenever I have sore throat which is the symptom of fever. Thadal sore throat disappears in a day and fever would have never shown its face. Try this ,I bet it works for you too. This is one of the gramathu samayals.. What happened to me errrrrr,,, trying out all gramathu samayal .. I hope I dont become one gramathu manushi .. Hee Hee .. Lets get into the recipe ..
Horse gram Dal :
1. Horse dhal - 1/2 a cup
2. Garlic - 5 pods
3. small onion - 4 nos.
4. Coriander seeds - 2 tsp.
5. Red chillies - 3 nos.
6. Curry leaves - few
7. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
8. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
9.Oil - 1 tsp.
10. Salt to taste.
1. Pressure cook dal with just more than enough water for about 20 mins.
2. After pressure is down , drain the water and keep the dhal separately.
2. Heat oil in a pan , let mustard to pop out , add onion and saute until it is cooked and add garlic fry for 30 secs , add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and salt.
3.Add the dal to the above mixture and add little of water and bring the dal to boil again.Remove from fire.Let it cool completely.Grind it in a mixie giving a couple of pulse.
4. Dal is done.
I am sending this to Delicious dal from India by Suma.
Horse Gram Rasam
1. Dal water - 2/3 cup
2. Tamarind extract - 1/3 cup
2. Garlic - 4 pods
3. Rasam Powder - 1 tsp.
4. Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp.
5. Curry leaves - few.
6. Ghee - 1 tsp.
7. Hing - a pinch
8. Salt to taste
1. Mix dal water, tamarind extract , rasam powder, hing and salt and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
2. Add ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds to pop up and then fry garlic pods.
3. Add water given as in 1 to the 2 and bring it to boil and then simmer for 5 mins.