This has only half amount of calories that is in broken wheat, less calories than oats .. This is surely one of the comforting foods for me.
More importantly this is so easy to cook . It hardly takes ten minutes to finish off everything without compromising on the taste.
This is one of the healthier versions . Yes, I only recently came to know that coconut if not fried is very good for health. hee hee ...
- Poha - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Mustard - 1/8th tsp.
- Broken urad dhal - 1/2 tsp.
- Channa dhal - 1/2 tsp.
- Cashews - 1/2 tsp ( optional if you are not weight consicious , enjoy it )
- Onion - 1 small size
- Green chillies - 4 nos.
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt to Taste
- Coconut - 4 tbspn.
- I used medium thick poha , so i just washed and drained the water completely and left it in strainer for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a pan , add oil , once hot is enough, splash mustard and wait for the seeds to pop out.
- Immediately add urad dhal, channa dhal and fry till they turn slightly brown.
- Add onion and saute onion for few minutes.
- Add green chillies,cumin seeds and curry leaves fry for a minute.
- Now add washed poha to it and salt,fry until all seasonings mix well .
- Turn off the stove but when the pan still on the stove , mix grated coconut into the pan.
- Serve it by drizzling little ghee only if you are not very weight consicious.It tastes good even without that.
- One cup of poha will suffice one person.
- Approximately 1/2 tsp. salt should be ok for one cup of poha.
- Add cumin seeds only after adding onion , this gives a completely different flavour.
- I would say cumin and coconut are the hero and heroine of this recipe.