Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vendaikkai - Puli kozhambu

I will be eagerly waiting for sundays to come as that is the only day, me and my husband get to have home made lunch together.So, I always make it a point to prepare something that we both of us like.


Be it any kozhambu, we both of us drool over Hee hee ( we eat anything as far as that is edible that is a different thing ). But vendaikkai is in the top of the list.


This is typical kovai style.After so many days of trying ,now I am able to make this proper vendaikkai kozhambu.


Ingredients :

Lady's finger - 12 nos.(small)
Small onion - 10 nos.
Red chilly - 4 nos.
Coriander powder - 3 tsp.
Tamarind extract - 3 tsp.(thick)
Coconut - 1 handful
Roasted channa dhal - 2 tsp.
Oil - 4 tsp.
Salt to taste



Method :

1. Heat oil in a pan and fry small onions (no need to cut).once it is slightly brown add red chillies, coriander powder and fry for few seconds.
2. Now add coconut and roasted dhal into the pan, stir once and turn off the stove.( dont fry coconut for long , then it will start giving oil smell).
3.Keep aside the pan and let it cool until it gets ready to be run in a mixie.Then grind it and make a paste.
4.Take another pan and 2 tsp of oil.Once the oil is heated , fry the lady's finger until it gets cooked.
5. Now add the ground mixture into the above pan , add tamarind extract , enough water and salt .Bring it to boil.
6. Curry will start thickening, so add some more water if you feel it is too thick.

Kozhanbu is ready !!!


21 comments:

Rohini said...

Looks so droolworthy!! Never made Puli kozhambu this way.. Me n my DH are also great fans of Okra Kozhambu, so I am gonna try it soon :)

அண்ணாமலையான் said...

mmm very tasty & healthy one...

Anu said...

Okra is my all time fav... never tried this way will try soon... Looks yummy dear...

Gita Jaishankar said...

Hi Pavithra..thanks for the lovely comments...I too love this kuzumbu...nice cute click :)

Sarah Naveen said...

Yumm yumm okra curry..

Anu said...

please do collect your awards from my blog..

Nithya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nithya said...

Hey cheers.. I love vendakka kolambu too. I also enjoy the vendakka from the kolambu with creamy curd rice. :)

Treat and Trick said...

Hi....first time here, your kuzhambu looks do yummy, love the way you decorate with vendikkai....

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

suvaiyaana suvai said...

looks good!!

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! tasty puli kuzhambu..I too make this in similar way..love your picture..
(nithubala-recipes.blogspot.com)

பித்தனின் வாக்கு said...

என்னது இது வெண்டைக்காய் குழம்பு வைப்பது இவ்வளவு கஷ்டமா? எனக்குப் புரியவில்லை. புதுசா சமைக்க கத்துக் கொண்டீர்களா. பருப்பை அப்படியே போட்டு தண்ணீர் ஊத்திக் கொதிக்க விடுவீர்களா? தனியா வேக வைத்து, காய் வதக்கி, வெந்தததும் பருப்பு போட்டு கொதிவிட்டு இறக்க மாட்டீர்களா?. அப்படியே ஒன்னா வேக வைத்தா பருப்பு மதப்பு அடிக்காதா? எனக்குப் புரியவில்லை. இருந்தாலும் குழம்பு படம் நல்லா இருப்பதால் உங்களுக்கு ஒரு சல்யூட். நன்றி.

பித்தனின் வாக்கு said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pavithra Srihari said...

Pithan ,This is not paruppu kuzhambu btw, I have not added so much paruppu .. I really dont know where paruppu comes into this kuzhambu .Have added litlle of pottukadalai so that kozhambu will get little thick consistency.Urs is a totally different version.It sounds good too.

Parita said...

curry looks very tasty!

பித்தனின் வாக்கு said...

Sorry pavithra, i thought chenna dhall wrongly as dhoor dhall. Its ok i will try this also. Anyway thanks to visit my blog. In my blog i put 16 recieps for cooking and chat ayitams. All are different dishs. And tasty. Please read it when ur time permit.Not only read and also try that. Thanks and regards.
T.Sudhakar alais Pitthan.

Malar Gandhi said...

My mommy used to make vendaikai puli kuzhambu quite often, I dunno' why I hardly make them...thanks for reminding me this lovely earthly dish...gonna fix this for dinner:):)

Gomathy S said...

Hey looks lovely.. never tried vendakai in puzhi kulambu..and nice blog layout..following you..

Namitha said...

I love pulikuzhambu...your version is so different...will try it next time
You have a lovely space here and I'm your latest follower :-)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Hi Pavithra,

Hope I am first time here... Your version of puli kuzhambu is different and I have to try this for sure. Looks yummy with lovely ingredients. Adding channa dhal is different and gives nice volume and texture too. Thanks for posting this.


Pavithra
http://www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

Tina said...

Yummy and delicious...