I am also planning to post from now on for next few months about the basic recipes to make it easier for my sister ;). She hardly knows to make dhal leave alone making sambhar . So this simple recipes period starts with this simple Dal which is anytime comfort food . It goes well with rice,idli, dosa and roti as well .
- Split yellow moong dhal - 1/2 cup
- Small onion - 3 nos.
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Tomato - 1 no.
- Sambhar powder - 1 tsp.
- Green chilly - 2 nos.
- Garlic - 1 pod
- Pressure cook dhal upto 3 whistle along with sambhar powder and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan , add oil and once it is hot add cumin seeds , let it splutter , then add onions and saute for about 30 secs.
- Now add chopped garlic, tomato, green chilly, and salt . Fry until tomato is completely cooked .
- Add the boiled dhal into the pan , adjust the water and simmer it until the dhal gets thickened.
- Any dhal like split masoor dhal, toor dhal can be substituted for moong dhal.