Hari was cooking on his own until marriage for about a year and whenever I ask him what is to eat, he invariably says arisium paruppu .He likes it so muchhhh and I am happy that he likes it because this is one of the most easiest and fastest one pot meals that can be prepared in hardly 5 mins.
The taste of ghee with the aroma of garlic and jeera is heavenly .
- Boiled Rice/ ponni rice - 1 cup
- Thoor dhal/ moong dhal/ masoor dhal - 1/4 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Gingelly oil / Ghee - 2 tbsn.
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
- Small onion -5 nos.
- Garlic pods - 5 nos.
- Curry leaves - few
- Red chillies - 5 nos.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Sambhar powder - 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Soak the rice and dhal together for about 15 mins . you can totally skip the soaking process as well .
- Heat a pressure pan, add oil and once hot enough , let the mustard seeds and cumin seeds pop out.
- Add onion and garlic ( no need to be chopped) , chillies, curry leaves and saute until onion is fried .
- Now add sambhar powder, turmeric powder and water . let the water reach boiling point to add rice and dhal mixture.
- close the pan with lid and give one whistle at high and then simmer it for 10mins .
- Now the mushy arisium paruppum is ready .
- If using raw rice , i think you should reduce the water by 1/2 cup.
- No need to chop onion and garlic .
- Serve it by drizzling ghee and roasted papad .